A general laborer is a worker who takes up different supporting tasks in construction sites, warehouses, or other settings like factories. According to this general laborer job description, he has an important role in constructing buildings, highways, or other structures.
General Laborer Job Description Template
A general laborer usually transports equipment and materials. The duties can vary. It depends on where he works and his level of specialization. Usually, he works in construction where he helps to erect scaffolding, cleans up sites, and helps specialized workers like electricians and painters.
Commonly, a general laborer takes up dangerous duties such as handling chemicals and removing lead from buildings. He also usually schedules training sessions on working with hazardous materials in a safe manner. It will be discussed further in this general laborer job description template.
General Laborer Job Responsibilities
We are hiring a general laborer now. Here, a general laborer collects debris, trash, or other waste to keep the site safe and clean. Handling power tools & materials like drills & saw will also belong to the general laborer job responsibilities. The more detailed responsibilities are listed below:
- Cleans up worksites from obsolete or hazardous materials
- Helps welders, painters, carpenters, or other trades people on-site
- Handles and transports equipment (e.g. grinders & drills) and materials (e.g. cement)
- Uses power machinery and tools (e.g. forklifts) when required
- Follows supervisors’ instructions to perform manual laborer duties (e.g. stacking up goods)
- Puts up warning signs (egg. Cones, signposts) for passerby and vehicles
- Helps with setting up & transferring temporary structures such as scaffolding
- Reports problems with unsafe conditions or equipment
Because the tasks and duties given may vary, a general laborer must always be ready with other additional responsibilities.
General Laborer Job Requirements
Usually, an educational degree is not required. However, apprenticeships via contractors or unions are usually required. A general laborer also needs to have good stamina and commitment to safety. For more detailed general laborer job requirements, these are provided in the following list:
- Able to meet the physical demands of the job ( lifting heavy-weight loads up to 40 pounds, standing for long time periods, etc)
- Good hand-eye coordination
- Familiar with power machinery and tools will be a plus
- Good skills in teamwork and communication
- Commitment to safety rules
- Specialization or apprenticeship is a good benefit, but not a must
General Laborer Job Description FAQs
What does a general laborer do?
A general laborer takes up different supporting tasks in construction sites, warehouses, or other settings like factories. He also transports equipment and materials. Usually, he helps to erect scaffolding, cleans up sites, and helps specialized workers like electricians & painters.
Can I edit the posted job description here?
Yes, you can. This laborer job description template is customizable so that you can easily tailor it to your needs.
Do you have interview questions for a general laborer?
On this web, you cannot only find the general laborer job description but also interview question samples for a general laborer.