There are times when an employer is faced with a condition when s/he wants to discontinue the working contract with an employee but at the same time s/he cannot terminate the contract. This situation usually happens because the employee does not do something which can violate the company’s policy but they cannot meet the company expectations. When it occurs, the employer gives the choice of the employee to submit the resignation in lieu of termination letter. In what aspects are the two letters different and why is the employee asked to resign instead of terminate their contract? We will explain the difference as well the sample of how to write the resignation in lieu of termination letter in a professional tone.
Is Resigning in Lieu of Termination a Good Choice?
These two terms have the same meaning, which is discontinuing the working contract. Yet, if an employee is writing the resignation in lieu of termination letter, they deserve the unemployment compensation like benefits and severance package. It will not affect the employee’s career as much as when s/he is getting terminated. The resume will stay ‘clean’ and s/he can explain the reason why the resignation happens.
How to Explain Resigning in Lieu of Termination in Interview?
When an employee applies for a new job, there must be a question regarding the resigning in lieu of termination that shown in the resume. If the situation allows, explain the reason behind the resignation without bringing the negative things of the former company. Yet, if it is not possible to tell the details, be honest to the interviewer but assure them that all the problems have been resolved.
Writing Resignation in Lieu of Termination Letter
If you are an employer whose employee is given the choice of resigning instead of being terminated, you should inform him/her by sending a resignation in lieu of termination letter. The letter has to be clear and is written in professional tone. Make sure there is no misunderstanding in the delivering the news within the letter. If you are facing the situation and still have no idea of how to writing one, the letter below can be one of the examples.
Dear Mr. Kendrick,
As you know, we have had the employee annual performance review last week. During this meeting, you are getting commented that your performance has been declining since the past six months. It is regretful that your performance does not meet the company’s expectation.
If you might remember, we have a separate meeting to discuss about your performance two months ago. Back then, you promised me to improve your work and be in the right track to keep up with other employees. However, it does not happen for the next few months. It is very regrettable at the same time because of your potential and courage to keep learning. Also, your positive energy brings warmth to the company. Thus, I would like to give you the opportunity to resign so that you will not have the termination record in your resume.
Kindly consider this option by sending the resignation letters in two weeks. If you do not receive the letter by May 31 2020, I would proceed with the contract termination. I will make sure you receive the severance package along with the benefits you deserve. I wish the best for your career path in the future.
Now, hopefully you are not confused with the difference between the termination and resignation. Have the best of career for all of you.
- An Ultimate Guide About Termination Letter to Employer
- Voluntary Termination Letter Example And Some Tips You Might Need
- What To Write In A Response to Resignation Letter?
- Why Should I Write A Forced Resignation Letter?
- How To Write An Internship Resignation Letter Properly?
- Free Printable Resignation Letter
- Termination Letter Due To Poor Performance And Its Example
- Termination Letter to Employer and Sample
- What Should I Do Before Writing A Two Weeks Notice Resignation Letter?
- Voluntary Resignation Letter from Employer And Its Sample
- Termination Letter Due To Lack Of Work And Example You Can Implement
- How to Write Last Chance Agreement Letter and Its Sample
- Constructive Discharge Resignation Letter – Things To Know
- How to Write An Employer Resignation Letter and Its Sample
- The Example of A Resignation Letter for a Job You Just Started
- Simple Example Of Going Back to School Resignation Letter
- Graceful Resignation Letter And The Sample
- How To Write A Resignation Letter for Transfer Within the Same Company
- Resignation Letter to Whom it May Concern And Its Example
- How To Write A Decline Interview Letter
- How to Write A Fee Agreement Letter and Its Template
- Termination Letter Due to Lack of Work and Its Sample
- Termination Letter For Cause And Its Sample
- At Will Termination Letter And Sample
- Should I Write A Resignation Letter due to Illness Before Leaving Job?
- Appreciative Resignation Letter And Its Sample
- Independent Contractor Termination Letter And The Sample
- Printable Employee Termination Form
- Job Abandonment Termination Letter And Example
- Termination Letter without Cause And The Example
- Acceptance of Resignation Letter and Its Template
- All About Termination Letter For Insubordination And The Sample
- Resignation Letter for A Job You Just Started And The Example
- Business Contract Termination Letter And Other Things You Must Know
- The Example Of Teacher Resignation Letter to Principal
- Example Of Printable Termination Letter For Insubordination You Can Use
- Teacher Resignation Letter to Principal and Its Template
- Trustee Resignation Letter And Other Tips You Need To Know
- Resignation Letter Due to Schedule Conflict And Its Sample
- Guides To Write A Physician Resignation Letter to Patients
- No Call No Show Termination Letter And Sample
- Resignation Letter Due To Stress And The Sample
- Resignation Letter Due to Relocation And The Sample
- A Useful Guidance To Write A Resignation Letter To Clients
- Editable Resignation Letter Due To Work Hostile Environment And Its Example
- Printable Resignation Letter
- Effective Date Resignation Letter and Example
- Resignation Letter Due to Relocation And Example
- A Good Resignation Letter With Regret Along With Its Example
- Resignation Letter From Fulltime to Part-Time And Its Sample
- Resignation Letter Due to Family Reasons And The Example
- Resignation Letter Due to Personal Reasons And The Sample
- Writing a Restaurant Resignation Letter and Sample
- Editable Resignation Letter Due To Health And Its Example
- Rescind Resignation Letter And Its Example You Can Implement
- Resignation Letter Due to Health: Why and How to Make
- Convenient Tips to Write An Apology Letter for Being Late
- Writing an Apology Letter for Being Late
- Thank You Resignation Letter to Boss And Its Example
- Termination Letter Due to Poor Performance And Its Sample